Professional Support

In Tasmanian Government schools there are professional staff who support the emotional wellbeing and overall development of students.

We know that happy and healthy young people are better equipped to learn and thrive.

Student support staff include support teachers, school psychologists, speech and language pathologists, social workers and chaplains. These staff can help you and your child to identify and support specific needs (e.g. emotional, developmental)  and refer you to other professional help when required.

Where to start

If you have any concerns about your child’s development or wellbeing, first talk to their teacher or the principal.

What kind of support is available?

  • Support teachers – are skilled teachers who support the school and classroom teacher to improve outcomes for students with disability and/or additional needs.
  • School psychologists – are registered psychologists. They work with students, staff and parents towards the best outcomes for students’ educational achievement and personal wellbeing through assessments, counselling and case management. They offer support for concerns such as under-achievement, poor social coping skills, anxiety, depression, grief and loss and trauma impact.
  • Speech and language pathologists – are qualified and skilled in assessing, diagnosing and treating  speech, language and feeding disorders and difficulties. They work with students, parents, teachers and support staff to assist students with communication and feeding difficulties, including those with developmental delays or disabilities.
  • Social workers – are professional practitioners who provide confidential counselling and support to students and their families around a range of issues.  These may include relationships, mental health difficulties, stress management, attendance issues, grief counselling and conflict resolution. They provide assistance for families/students at risk of harm (from self or from others) such as suicide, self-harm, child protection issues or risk of homelessness. Social work services can be accessed directly by families or students, or through a referral from school staff.
  • School chaplains – support the emotional wellbeing of students by providing pastoral care services and strategies that support the emotional wellbeing of the broader school community.

Where can I get more information?

Talk to your child’s teacher or principal.