Foster and Kinship Carers Association of Tasmania
The Foster and Kinship Carers Association of Tasmania (FKAT) provides support and assistance for foster carers, kinship carers and people interested in becoming carers in Tasmania.
FKAT is a member of the Australian Foster and Kinship Carers Partnership.
Services Provided by FKAT:
- regular newsletters
- social activities
- an annual conference
- support during case planning
- support during family conferences
- advocacy and support for carers through the Foster and Kinship Care Advocacy and Support Team (FAST)
- telephone support and referral service
- working with CREATE to best support children and young people in out of home care.
Visit the Foster and Kinship Carers Association of Tasmania Website for more information about the services provided by FKAT.
Useful resources for foster carers
Below is a list of resources available to parents, carers, children and young people. This section will continue to be added to.
- Fire safety – Online resources for parents and carers from Tasmania Fire Service
- Kidsafe Tasmania – lots of online resources about injury prevention, burns and fire awareness, backyard pool safety, and many more.
- Charter of Rights (PDF, 1026KB) for children in out of home care
- Let’s Talk – age specific resources focused on the importance of talking to your children, from babies to teenagers.
- CREATE Foundation – is the national consumer body representing the voices of children and young people with an out-of-home care experience.
- Commissioner for Children and Young People Tasmania – resources for young people about their rights and wellbeing in Tasmania.
- Child Advocates in Out of Home Care
For more information about becoming a Foster Carer, please contact us on:
Phone: 1800 732 522