Temporary Resident Program

If you are moving to Tasmania to study or work on a temporary resident visa, your children can study with us. 

The Temporary Resident Program (TRP) helps students on temporary visas to enrol in Tasmanian Government Schools.

For more information about this program:

A young student enjoys painting in her classroom.

How do I enrol my child?

To enrol, most temporary residents will need an Authority to Enrol. To receive an Authority to Enrol, tuition fees may be required. Please contact GETI on 6165 5727 (internationally +61 3 6165 5727) or email trp@geti.tas.gov.au.


  • The school must see your Authority to Enrol letter before your child can be enrolled.
  • School levies are generated by, and paid direct to, the school.

When can I enrol my child?

The Temporary Resident Program (TRP) enrols school-aged children at any time during the year.

  • Primary school – Kindergarten to Year 6
  • Secondary (High) school – Years 7-10
  • Senior Secondary (College) – Years 11-12

The compulsory school starting age in Tasmania is five years on or by 1 January.

Dependants of temporary residents MUST hold a valid visa and meet the general conditions of enrolment before enrolling in a Tasmanian Government School.

Where can I enrol my child?

Temporary resident students can enrol at their local school in their ‘home area’ – the school nearest to their new Tasmanian home. Please refer to intake areas for Tasmanian schools.

How much does schooling cost?

Most TRP students are required to pay tuition fees to attend a Tasmanian Government School.

For current tuition fee information, please visit Temporary Resident (Dependant) Program on the TRP page on the GETI website.

School levies

School levies are not the same as tuition fees. School levies are approximately AUD $300 – $750 per year and are charged by the school directly. For further information please refer to fees and levies.

Note: Children temporarily living in Tasmania on a visitor visa may study up to 12 weeks but must enrol as an International Full Fee-Paying Students (FFPS).

Will my child receive English language support?

All TRP students will receive English language support if they are assessed as requiring assistance. A needs assessment will be conducted by the English as an Additional Language (EAL) Service. A Learning Plan will be developed for the student and updated as required by the school.  For further information please refer to the English as an Additional Language Support web page or contact eal.service@decyp.tas.gov.au.

What if I need an interpreter?

Schools can access interpreters through the EAL Service (6165 5487) or eal.service@decyp.tas.gov.au. Schools can contact the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) or visit the TIS website for more details. Costs will apply.