Frank MacDonald MM – born in Ulverstone in 1896 – was Tasmania’s last World War I veteran and the last of the 40th Infantry Battalion raised in WWI. He was responsible for repairing signal lines between battalion headquarters and trenches and received the Military medal for working courageously under heavy fire. He also served in World War II and received the Legion of Honour in 1998. Frank MacDonald passed away on 23 August 2003 at the age of 107.
The Frank MacDonald Memorial Prize is an essay-based competition which commemorates and preserves the meaning of the ANZAC spirit in the Tasmanian community. The essay competition is open to all Tasmanian Year 9 students, as well as students who are undertaking home education at the same year level.
Six Year 9 students are selected from around Tasmania to take part in the Frank MacDonald Memorial Prize each year. As part of the Prize students:
- go on a 10-day Study Tour in April the following year (incorporating Anzac Day).
- visit the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.
- attend educational meetings held once a month in the lead up to the Study Tour (November to April).
The Study Tour will travel to sites and landmarks of wartime, either within Australia or internationally (subject to appropriate travel clearances and public health advice). The group is led by a Tasmanian Government Tour Leader, and is accompanied by two teachers, a parliamentarian and an RSL representative. The State Government meet the cost of travel, transfers, travel insurance, accommodation, tour activities, and meals for each winner and the chaperones.
For further information on the Frank MacDonald Memorial Prize contact the Project Officer by phone (03) 6165 6196 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The 2022 Frank MacDonald Memorial Prize recipients and representatives are:
- Amy Willey (PDF, 212KB)
- Harry Lillywhite (PDF, 259KB)
- Jacob Rittman (PDF, 372KB)
- Jacob Watt (PDF, 463KB)
- Sarah Brewer (PDF, 323KB)
- Xander Power (PDF, 376KB)
- Caitlin Midson, Devonport High School
- Emma Cohen, Burnie High School
RSL Tasmania Representative
- Don Ryan, Lenah Valley RSL
- Terese Smith, Department of Premier and Cabinet
View the Previous Winners of the Frank MacDonald Memorial Prize.
Further information about the Frank MacDonald Memorial Prize can be viewed on the Department of Premier and Cabinet website.