A person seeking personal information about their schooling or employment history can apply to the Department for copies of their records.
- Complete a Personal Information request form (PDF, 170KB)
- Complete a request to update or correct your personal information record (PDF, 160KB)
There is no fee for this service.
The Department aims to process all applications within 20 business days.
The Department manages all applications for Personal Information confidentiality.
Personal Information Protection Act 2004 (PIP)
The Personal Information Protection Act 2004 came into effect on 5 September 2005 and regulates the way in which public sector agencies deal with how personal information is collected, maintained, used and disclosed in the course of delivering services. A copy of the Act is available on the Tasmanian Government Legislative database.
The the Department acts in accordance with the Personal Protection Act 2004 in its collection, storage and use of personal information. The Department takes reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is accurate, complete and up to date.
Further information can be found in the Personal Information Protection Policy.
Information about personal information in the Department is available via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via telephone (03) 6165 6187.
How can I access my personal information or correct my personal information?
- If you wish to access your personal information held by the Department, please complete the PIP Request for Information form (PDF, 170KB)
- If you need to update or correct your personal information, please complete the PIP Correcting or Updating Personal Information form (PDF, 160KB)
Where do I go if I need assistance completing the form?
- Legal Services via email email@example.com or via telephone (03) 6165 6187; or
- Your local Libraries Tasmania site in person, to seek assistance to complete and send your form.
Where do I send my completed form?
Once your application is complete, please send it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to Department For Education, Children And Young People, Legal Services, GPO Box 169, Hobart, TAS 7000.
What if I am unhappy with the information received?
If you are not satisfied with the Department’s handling of your matter or the outcome of your request you can lodge a further request in writing to Legal Services by email at email@example.com or post to Department for Education, Children and Young People, Legal Services, GPO Box 169, Hobart TAS 7001.
If the Department refuses your request, you can make an Application for Assessed Disclosure under the Right to Information Act 2009.
If you remain dissatisfied with the Department’s handling of your matter or the outcome of your request you can contact the Ombudsman Tasmania by telephone on (03) 6166 4566 or 1800 001 170 (cost of local call outside Hobart area) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org