Our program runs for two weeks each year for all year 3, 4 and 5 students in Tasmanian Government Schools
The Department for Education, Children and Young People provides a Swimming and Water Safety Program for:
- all Year 3, 4 and 5 students in Tasmanian Government Schools (required attendance)
- Year 6 students assessed as being at-risk at the end of the Year 5 program (optional attendance).
This three-year program consists of ten consecutive lessons each year. It supports our students to become competent swimmers and be water safe.
The program has a strong emphasis on:
- water safety, including boat safety
- using personal floatation devices
- survival swimming
- reach to rescue
- entering aquatic environments safely
- efficient stroke development
- building swimming stamina.
These skills build the foundation for safe participation in aquatic activities.
The swimming program supports the Australian Curriculum: Health and Physical Education Strands of:
- Personal, social and community
- Movement and physical activity
In particular, the focus areas of:
- Health benefits of physical activity
- Fundamental motor skills
- Lifelong physical activities.