Key information

The Office of Safeguarding Children and Young People is committed to ensuring that all children and young people in Tasmania are known, safe, well and learning.

The voices of children and young people are at the centre of everything we do. If you make a report, it will be taken seriously.

If your concerns relate to a school, you should report them to your teacher or the school principal.

There is also a Safeguarding Lead in every State Government school.  They help plan and put in place strategies to support the wellbeing of all students, and foster a culture where it is understood that safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility.

You can also contact via email, the Community Liaison Manager for your region to discuss any concerns you may have about your school.

How to report a concern

  • If you are worried about your safety or the safety of a child or young person, you must report it immediately.
  • Contact 000 for urgent police or medical help if a child is at immediate risk of harm.
  • Contact the Strong Families, Safe Kids Advice and Referral Line on 1800 000 123 or make an online notification
  • Call police on 131 444 if you have any information about child sexual abuse.
  • Child safety is everyone’s responsibility.

What we do

We work to:

  • support the Government’s responsibility to protect children from violence, abuse and neglect
  • protect children from sexual exploitation (being taken advantage of) and sexual abuse
  • strengthen policies, processes and procedures

Our work is guided by the findings and recommendations of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse and the Tasmanian Department for Education, Children and Young People’s Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

The National Principles for Child Safe Organisations (PDF, 1042KB) are our benchmark and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (PDF, 705KB) underpins this work.

If you have any questions about what we do, please email the Office of Safeguarding Children and Young People

Where to seek support

If any of this information causes you distress or raises questions or concerns, please seek advice or support:

Beyond Blue – Call 1300 224 636 or visit the Beyond Blue website 
Mental health and wellbeing organisation supporting those affected by anxiety, depression and suicide.    

1800 Respect – Call 1800 737 732 or visit the 1800 Respect website
Support and information for anyone affected by sexual assault, or domestic or family violence.

Lifeline – Call 13 11 14 or visit the Lifeline website
24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention.

Sexual Assault Support Service (SASS) – Call 1800 697 877 (24/7), 03 6231 0044 or visit the SASS website
SASS works towards a future free from sexual assault and child sexual abuse. If you or someone you care about needs support, guidance, or understanding, SASS is here to help.

Laurel House – Call 03 6334 2740 / 03 6431 9711 or visit the Laurel House website
Northern and north-western-based sexual abuse and sexual assault support service.

Knowmore – Call 1800 605 762 or visit the Knowmore website
Free legal advice for survivors of institutional child sexual abuse.

Employee Assistance Program
Department for Education, Children and Young People staff can access the Employee Assistance Program, Newport & Wildman, by phone on 1800 650 204 or by email at

13YARN – Call 13 92 76 or visit the 13YARN website

A 24/7 national crisis support line for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who are feeling overwhelmed or having difficulty coping. 

Did you find what you needed?

Did you find what you’re looking for on this page? How can we improve information? Let us know.