• School students receive a Transition Statement at the end of Year 10 to confirm that they developed and recorded their plans to move into senior secondary education or other further education and training.
    Please note: the Education Registrar | OER has a separate process to issue Transition Statements for home educated students.
  • Year 10 students in 2019 are the first group of young people who will need to meet increased minimum education and training leaving requirements under the Education Act. All young people are supported to plan and stay engaged in the education and training they have identified for their future success.
  • All young people are supported to plan and stay engaged in the education and training they have identified for their future success.

What is a Year 10 Transition Statement?

  • A Transition Statement is issued to Year 10 students at Government, Catholic and Independent schools to acknowledge a student’s commitment to reaching their goals through further education and training.
  • After receiving a transition statement, young people must continue to participate in education and training by choosing to stay at school or undertaking other education or training options.
  • Schools use different ways to advise students that they have received a Transition Statement. Students may receive a letter, or have a message on their Year 10 end-of-year school report.

What does a Year 10 school student need to do to receive a Transition Statement, and start further education and training?

  • To receive a Transition Statement, a Year 10 student must ensure that their intended learning program is provided to their school principal before the end of the school year. Schools may call an ‘intended learning program’ by another name. For example, Government schools use the term ‘Transition Plan’, while Non-Government schools may use the term ‘Eligible Options’.
  • An intended learning program includes the type of education and training the student plans to undertake after Year 10 and their preferred education and training provider/s.
  • A copy of the intended learning program is provided to the student’s chosen education and training provider/s to ensure a coordinated transition into further education and training.
  • Students still need to complete the enrolment process with their chosen education and training provider.

How does the Transition Statement process benefit young people?

  • By supporting young people to plan and stay engaged with education and training, more young people will achieve higher levels of educational attainment and have greater opportunities in learning, life and work.
  • Schools use the information students record to understand their proposed learning pathways, intended destinations, industry and occupational interests; and to support every student in making a positive transition into further education and training.
  • Information about a young person’s intended learning program and ongoing participation is also shared with the Department for Education, Children and Young People to ensure that young people who stop participating in education and training can be identified and supported to move back into relevant learning.

What are the education and training options for young people after Year 10?

  • After Year 10, a young person can choose any of the following education and training options, or a combination of these options if the provider/s allow:
    • Years 11 and 12 at any government or non-government school or college, or tertiary provider – this may include an Australian School-based Apprenticeship
    • a Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualification through any registered training organisation
    • an apprenticeship or traineeship with an employer.
  • Alternatively, a student could be home educated by a registered home educator, or seek an exemption from the requirement to undertake full-time education and training by completing an Application for Part-time Attendance (docx, 85KB) or Application for Exemption from Attending School (PDF, 501KB).
  • For more information about education and training options, visit the Education and Training after Year 10 page.

Where can I get more information?

  • The Anything can happen website is a great place to start looking at the education and training options available in Tasmania.
  • Your child’s school would be happy to talk to you and your child about the education and training they may be interested in after Year 10, and how they can support and encourage your child’s aspirations.
  • For more information about transition planning in government schools or requesting an exemption from education and training for work, have a look at the Careerify website.