Key information

  • Your school will ask about certain vaccinations.
  • Many childhood vaccines are available free of charge to children of eligible ages.

Some vaccinations are provided to your child on school premises by a doctor or health professional. These will be arranged by the Department of Health.

Others will be given by a doctor or health professional and are your responsibility as a parent or carer to arrange.

School and vaccination

When you fill out your child’s school enrolment form, you will be asked whether your child has received particular vaccinations.

You may be asked to provide evidence.  This is usually in your child’s health record, commonly known as the ‘blue book’ or you can provide a letter from a doctor or local council.

Immunisation records can be accessed through your Medicare online account, through myGov or by using the Express Plus Medicare mobile phone app.

The Australian Immunisation Register – Whole of Life Register (AIR) also keeps a record of immunisations given to children under the age of seven years.

Statements of your child’s vaccination history can be requested from AIR by phoning 1800 653 809 or go to the Check your child’s vaccination status web page.

If proof is not available, a statutory declaration form can be obtained from your school or from the Department of Health.

The dates for vaccination sessions at your child’s school will be communicated to parents and carers. You will receive a consent form for your child to have the vaccination. It is very important that you read and fill out this form correctly and return it by the due date.

What if there is an outbreak of infectious disease?

If your child is not immunised, you may be asked to keep your child at home if there is an outbreak of disease that is infectious, contagious or harmful to others.

If your child is immunised, your school will give you advice from the public health authority about whether attending school during an outbreak is safe.

Always follow the advice from your school as it is based on expert medical advice from the Department of Health.

Infectious diseases

You must contact the Department of Health if your child ever contracts one of the following infectious diseases:

  • Measles
  • Meningococcal disease
  • Mumps
  • Whooping Cough
  • German Measles
  • Tuberculosis.

The Department of Health can be contacted on 1800 671 738.

Where to go for more information: