Intake Areas from 2021 for Tasmanian Government Schools

Did you know?

In your local area there are excellent government schools that can support your child’s learning. When your child attends a local school it can help give them a strong sense of community close to home.

We have updated our school intake areas (sometimes known as ‘catchments’ or ‘home areas’) that will apply to government primary and combined (district) schools from Term 1, 2021. These updated intake areas will make it easier for all Tasmanian children to access quality education in their local community. We have made these updates following a two-stage consultation process.  During this process we sought the views of our schools and many different groups in the Tasmanian community.

Who do these updated intake areas apply to?

The updated intake areas will apply to your family if you are enrolling your first child in a government school for the first time and they will be commencing school from 2021. While your school’s intake area might look different, remember that:

  • you can still apply to your school of choice, if the school has capacity
  • if your child has already started their schooling at a government primary or district school before Term 1 2021 they will not be affected
  • if your child has a sibling already attending a school outside their intake area, your child can enrol at the same school as their sibling
  • the updated intake areas will not change the way schools enrol students who live outside their intake area.

How to find out which is your local school if you are a new parent?

You can view the Intake Areas from 2021 in the following ways:

Remember, if you already have a child enrolled in a government primary or combined (district) school, these new maps don’t apply to your family.

What is an intake area?

  • In Tasmania, each government primary and combined (district) school has a geographical intake area from which it accepts enrolments.
  • Intake areas ensure that every Tasmanian child is able to enrol at a high quality government school close to where they live. Attending a school close to home also helps children feel part of their local community.
  • Schools need intake areas so they can plan for expected student enrolments. Intake areas also help ensure schools have the facilities and staff to best support their students’ learning.
  • All Australian states and territories use intake areas to provide a framework for managing their student enrolments.
  • High schools do not currently have geographic intake areas. Instead they have intake primary schools from which they accept enrolments. This system is currently managed by school principals (for example: Huonville Primary School is an intake area school for Huonville High School).
  • When your child finishes primary school they are automatically entitled to enrol at their school’s intake area high school.

Which students are in-area students?

  • All students living within the intake area boundaries of a government school are considered ‘in-area students’ and are entitled to enrol at that school.
  • When you request to enrol your child as an in-area student, the school will ask you to show that you are living in the intake area. You can do this by providing proof of your current residential address.
  • If your child has a brother or sister that is currently enrolled at a school, then your child is automatically entitled to enrol at the same school as their sibling/s.

Can I still choose which school I send my child to?

  • We encourage you to enrol your child at their intake area school. This would give them a great opportunity to become part of a strong, diverse and supportive local community near their home.
  • You may also seek to enrol your child in any other government school if that school has capacity to enrol additional ‘out-of-area’ students.
  • We use the Out-of-Area Enrolment Procedure (PDF, 516KB) to apply a consistent, equitable and transparent approach to assess out-of-area enrolment requests.
  • If you would like to enrol your child at another government school, and the school has capacity, they will provide you with an Expression of Interest form.
  • Schools use the completed form and supporting information to help prioritise enrolments according to standard criteria contained in the Out-of-Area Enrolment Procedure (PDF, 516KB). They can only do this to the extent that they have capacity to accept out-of-area students.
  • After you submit an Expression of Interest form you will receive a letter from the school notifying you of the enrolment outcome by week 2 of Term 4 if the enrolment is for the next school year. If the enrolment is for the same year we will tell you whether it was accepted within 14 days.
  • We understand that there are specific situations where you might prefer to enrol your child in an out-of-area school. We will try to accept out-of-area enrolments where possible.

Why did the intake areas need updating?

  • Under the Education Act 2016 we are required to determine intake areas for government schools at least once every 5 years.
  • Doing this makes sure that intake areas stay up-to-date as populations change and that every child can continue to have easy access to a school near their home.
  • Many of the maps have not been updated since 2005.
  • We first published the updated intake areas on 18 June 2020, following an extensive, two-stage review of the existing intake areas.
  • Remember, the updated intake areas will apply to your family if, at the beginning of Term1, 2020 you don’t already have a child enrolled in a government primary or district school.

How were the updated intake areas decided?

  • As part of the intake area review the Department for Education, Children and Young People sought the views of as many Tasmanians as possible on two sets of draft intake area maps released for public comment.
  • We received more than 1,000 submissions that helped us determine what the updated intake areas would look like.
  • The project team received feedback from many groups of people. This included future parents of young children, school principals, school associations, peak bodies, the early education and care sector, local councils and the general public.
  • The updated intake areas are improved versions of the previous maps. The updates make them better aligned with school capacity and student transport routes.
  • We have also made sure the updated intake areas match up with property boundaries, so it is clear which intake area any particular address falls within.
  • We have made sure the updated maps safeguard the ability of all government schools to continue to provide equitable learning opportunities for all children.

Where can I get more information?

If you would like specific information regarding your school’s intake area:

If you have questions related to the School Intake Area Review

If you need help to enrol your child in school

  • Talk to your intake area school about what help and information you need.
  • If you would like to apply for out-of-area enrolment, please contact the school to discuss if they have capacity to accept out-of-area enrolments.