School Speech Pathologists

School speech pathologists provide interventions for learning, engagement and positive learner outcomes in schools and child and family learning centres (CFLCs).

  • Is your child easy to understand when speaking?
  • Is your child able to understand what you say?
  • Is your child able to create sentences that make sense?
  • Is your child able to eat a variety of food including soft and hard texture foods?
  • Is your child able to eat and drink without coughing and choking?
  • Is your child able to read and spell as well as children their age?
  • Is your child able to speak without stuttering?
  • Is your child’s voice produced without effort?
  • Is your child able to get along with other children?
  • If you answered ‘no’ to any of these questions, a Speech Pathologist may be able to help.

What do speech pathologists do?

Speech pathologists work with learners who:

  • are difficult to understand when speaking
  • have difficulty with understanding language (eg. question, instructions)
  • have difficulty expressing themselves with words
  • stutter
  • have a husky, hoarse or nasal voice
  • have difficulty with eating and drinking
  • have a disability
  • have complex communication needs
  • have difficulty with literacy
  • have difficulty with social skills.

Speech pathologists assess learners and provide support through:

  • individual therapy
  • group therapy
  • home programs
  • individualised class programs
  • teacher assistant programs.

Speech pathologists work with class teachers, support teachers and teacher assistants to help students participate at school and achieve their educational goals.

Speech pathologists also work closely with school psychologists and social workers. Some children will see a private speech pathologist outside of school. School speech pathologists will work with these providers to help children achieve the best outcomes.

How are students referred?

Students are referred by filling in a referral form (available at the school). Referrals may come from teachers, other support staff or parents. All referrals are signed by the principal prior to being given to the speech pathologist to ensure the referral is appropriate.


Information given to the speech pathologist is kept in a separate confidential file and can only be shared by consent or by law.

Professional Standards

Speech pathologists are university trained specialists and must abide by the National Code of Conduct for Health Care Workers. They must also be eligible to join their professional association, Speech Pathology Australia.

Where can I get more information?

Talk to your child’s teacher, principal or centre leader. Find out more about the role of a Speech Pathologist at the Speech Pathology Australia website

Learning Services

All schools and CFLCs belong to a Learning Service. These are located in regions throughout Tasmania:

Learning Service Northern Region

Launceston Office
Phone: 03 6777 2440

Devonport Office
Phone: 03 64784329

Learning Services Southern Region

Hobart Office
Phone: 03 6165 6466

School Speech Pathologists – printable brochure

Download the Print version of brochure (PDF, 360KB)