This page has links to websites for families to support children and young people to have fun and engage with reading.
Visit these websites to find:
- Book recommendations for different age groups
- Information on why talking and reading with your child is so important
- Tips and ideas on how to support your child to read
- Reading related activities and competitions
Make reading fun and engaging
Do you want to find out about the best books for your child’s age group? Or do you need some tips on how to make reading fun and engaging?
These websites and programs are a great place to start.
- CBCA: This stands for The Children’s Book Council of Australia. You can find out about the best books for your child’s age group, see what other kids are reading, and find some activities and competitions for your child.
- Great Start: This DECYP website has lots of resources and services for families and carers of children from birth to eight years old. You can find tips on how to help your younger children learn and grow, how to play with them, and how to support them at school.
- Let’s Talk: This DECYP website has useful information for parents and carers, such as how to talk and read with your child. Learn why talking and reading are so important for brain development. Find tips on how to choose good books for different ages, and how to make reading fun and engaging.
- Kids’ Book Review: This website has book reviews written by kids, authors, illustrators, and publishers. You and your child can write your own reviews, share your opinions, and discover new books from Australia and around the world.
- Libraries Tasmania: Find books, magazines, newspapers, DVDs, CDs, e-books, audiobooks, and more to enjoy. You can visit the library in person or online, borrow items for free, do research, join clubs, attend events, and enjoy the library’s space and services.
- MS Readathon: This reading challenge runs in August and raises money for kids who have a parent living with multiple sclerosis. By taking part in the MS Readathon, your child can help these kids get the support they need. Your child can also take part in the Premier’s Reading Challenge at the same time!
- Reading Time: This website has news and reviews of books from the Children’s Book Council of Australia. Find out what’s new and popular in children’s literature.
- UCTV Alive for Kids: This is an online show to give your child extra learning opportunities outside of school. Watch episodes that cover topics like science, art, history, geography, music, and more. You and your child can also interact with the hosts and guests, ask questions, share ideas, and join in some challenges.