- Financial support available to pay for goods and services related (but not limited) to; education, employment, counselling, personal development, family connection, medical and dental services.
- To discuss if you are eligible, contact the After Care Support Service on 1300 654 583
The Abuse in State Care Support Service provides support to people who experienced abuse in State care when they were children. The Service aims to assist people to overcome the impacts of the abuse and improve their life circumstances.
Financial support up to $2,500 is available to pay for goods and services related (but not limited) to; education, employment, counselling, personal development, family connection, medical and dental services.
To be eligible for support you must:
- be over 18 years of age,
- have been placed in State Care in an institution or home established for the care of children in Tasmania,
- Experienced abuse while in State Care,
- Did not previously successfully apply to the Child Abuse Review Program.
Adults who were privately placed in approved children’s homes or homes certified for the care of children are not eligible. Nor are adults who were adopted as children and were not otherwise in the care of the State.
Personal information will be collected from you for the purpose of considering your application. No one else will have access to your information without your consent.
Referral to Tasmania Police
Depending on the nature of your disclosure, you may be asked whether you wish for the matter to be referred to Tasmania Police for further investigation. This will only occur if you give your consent to do so. Your options in terms of pursing civil proceedings against the alleged wrongdoer will also be discussed during the meeting with your counsellor if it is appropriate.
How to apply?
- If you wish to apply you must fill in the application form and have it witnessed by another person. You must provide a copy of one piece of identification with your application.
- Once your application is received we will check you are eligible according to criteria outlined below. To do this we may request information from other relevant agencies, and/or your personal departmental files. In some instances we may seek further information from you. If you don’t meet the criteria we will write to you to let you know the reasons for the decision.
- If you are eligible you will be contacted by a departmental counsellor to arrange a time for you to speak about your experiences whilst in State care and the impacts these have had on your life. The counsellor will be able to discuss further support available to you. Up to $2,500 are available to pay for goods and services to assist you such as (but not limited to) education, employment, counselling, family connection, medical and dental services.
- In addition, a copy of your personal file relating to your time in State care can be provided to you. If you would like a copy of your file please tick the box on the application form.
- You are welcome to have a family member, friend or other person present at this meeting to provide additional support to that provided by the counsellor.
Contact the After Care Support Service
Contact the After Care Support Service for the application form.
or in writing, addressed to:
After Care Support Service
GPO Box 538,
HOBART TAS 7001