After Care Support Program

Out of Home Care Program

  • Have you been a ‘Ward of the State’ or placed ‘Under Guardianship’ of the State in Tasmania?
  • Have you lived in out-of-home care in Tasmania?
  • Would you like a copy of your file?
  • Would you like to find members of your family?
  • Are you aged between 18 and 24 years and need financial assistance to get ahead in your life?
  • Are you aged 18, 19 or 20 years and still living with your carer?  Your carer may be eligible to apply for extended carer payments.

This information is for you!

What is Out of Home Care?

If you have lived in out-of-home care the Government was responsible for your care. You may have been in a foster placement, a family group home, cottage care, a receiving home, a children’s home or an orphanage.

In the past children were known as ‘Wards of the State’ but now the term ‘Under Guardianship’ is used.

What is a personal file?

The Department of Health and Human Services (the Department) records information about all children and young people in out-of-home care in a file, known as a “personal file”.

How to obtain a copy of your personal file?

You can apply for a copy of your personal file by contacting the After Care Support Program. If you would like some help reading your file, please phone the After Care Support Program on 6166 0422 or 1300654583.

Would you like assistance to find members of your family?

Some people who spend long periods of time in out-of-home care lose contact with members of their family, including brothers and sisters.

If you need help to find a member of your family, contact the After Care Support Program on (03) 6166 0422 or 1300 654 583.

Do you need additional assistance?

The After Care Support Program is able to refer you to government and community services such as education, housing and health services. This will only be done in discussion with you and providing that you agree to the referral.

There are services in the community that provide assistance specifically for those who have been in out-of-home care:

The CREATE FoundationProvides a voice for children and young people in care and care leavers under 25 years of age.32 Church Street, North Hobart TAS 7000
Phone: (03) 6281 9243
Freecall: 1800 655 105
or visit the Create Foundation
CLAN (Care Leavers Aust Network)A national support and advocacy group for adults who were in orphanages, children’s homes and foster care, including those placed privately.PO Box 164 Georges Hall NSW 2198
Phone: 0425 204 747 or visit CLAN
Find & ConnectAccess counselling and support as well as history and information about children’s homes and institutions and providing free support and counselling to care leavers.Freecall 1800 16 11 09
or visit Find & Connect

Aged 18, 19 or 20 years and continuing to live with a family-based carer?

If a carer continues to provide family-based care for a young adult aged 18, 19 or 20 years, they may be eligible to apply for extended carer payments.

Information for carers about extended carer payments available under the Transition to Independence Program.

Application form for extension of carer payments

Between 18 and 24 years of age and need financial assistance?

Many young adults who have grown up in out‑of‑home care need extra assistance, especially if they do not have the support of their carers or family.

It takes time and effort to successfully manage the many challenges of living independently.

Young people leaving care can apply for financial assistance through the After Care Support Program if they are between the age of 18 – 24 years and have been in care for two years or more from the age of 14 years.

Funds are available to:

  • Complete education or training
  • Improve employment opportunities
  • Develop and maintain relationships with family members
  • Improve links to the wider community
  • Participate in sporting and creative activities.

The maximum amount is $2,500 per year.


To apply contact the After Care Support Program on:

(03) 6166 0422 or 1300 654 583.

Contact Details

Adoptions & Permanency Services
GPO Box 538
Hobart 7001 TAS

(03) 6166 0422


Web:  Adoptions and Permanency Services

October 2019