- The number of local children placed for adoption by their birth parents each year in Tasmania is low.
- If you would like to talk to someone about adoption, you can contact us on
(03) 6166 0422.
In Tasmania, the number of local children placed for adoption by their birth parents each year is low.
Prospective adoptive parents who are approved to adopt a local child should be aware that there is no guarantee that a child will be placed in their care.
The birth parents of local children have the right to express their wishes regarding arrangements for:
- who their child is placed with
- ongoing contact with their child, and
- information exchanges with their child, and the child’s adoptive parents.
To assist birth parents to select a suitable family for their child, prospective adoptive parents are required to prepare a non-identifying profile.
Prospective adoptive parents will be asked to prepare the non-identifying profiles once they have been approved to adopt a locally born child.
Are you interested in adoption?
If you are interested in attending an information session about adoption, please contact the Adoption team on:
Phone: (03) 6166 0422