Key information

  • Your child’s teacher may arrange minor or major excursions throughout the year. 
  • You will be asked to sign a Minor Excursion permission form at the beginning of the school year. This will cover all minor excursions your child may attend throughout the year.
  • If you child attends a Major off-campus activity, you will be asked to sign an additional permission form. 

Where to start 

  • The school levy covers costs of off-campus activities that are part of the school program. 
  • Extra costs may occur for activities that are additional to the educational program. You will be told about these in advance. 
  • For more information, contact your school. 

For your child 

  • Excursions will be well prepared, safe and age appropriate. 
  • Students will be well supported by staff with appropriate equipment. 
  • There will always be adequate staff to support your child on the excursion.
  • A first aid kit will be available. 
  • At least one adult present on the activity will have a current Applied First Aid Certificate where the nature of the excursion requires in. 
  • If your child has a special medical condition, their medications will be carried by the teacher in charge. Medications will be administered as prescribed. 
  • If a child on an excursion is susceptible to an anaphylactic reaction, one adult present must be capable of administering an ‘EpiPen’. 

For you 

  • Your child’s teacher may arrange minor excursions throughout the year that are part of your child’s education. For example, a trip to the museum or local park. 
  • Rather than have you sign a permission form for every excursion, we ask that you complete one form to cover minor excursions during the school year. 
  • Your child’s teacher may also arrange a major excursion throughout the year. Major excursions include: 
    • overnight activities, such as art and music camps 
    • interstate and international excursions 
    • or daytime activities with an element of risk involved.  
  • A separate permission form will be sent home for each major off-campus activity and excursion. This is to ensure schools meet the department’s duty of care requirements.  
  • All off campus activities must have the approval of the Principal. 
  • All interstate and international excursions must also have approval of the General Manager/ Secretary of the department. 
  • You will be given as much notice and information as possible about off campus activities so you can make an informed decision about whether your child can attend. 
  • If you do not want your child to attend an excursion, an alternative education programme will be offered for your child at school. Talk to your child’s teacher if this is the case. 

What more do you need to know about excursions? 

  • Notice of excursions will be provided in a variety of ways e.g. school newsletter, school Facebook. 
  • All parents, carers and volunteers, who go with students on excursions must have a valid Working with Vulnerable People check. 
  • Schools must comply with the department’s Procedures for Planning Off Campus Activities

Where can I get more information? 

Talk to your child’s teacher or principal.